CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 26, 2011

Wood Nymph

Today was a great change from yesterday. I actually woke up ecstatic to be alive, for some reason. And when I think of life, I think of the good, green Earth. I'll come out of the broom closet. I'm a Neo-Pagan and an eco-nut, so you can already imagine how much I really love Earth. I am a Capricorn, which is an earth element sign, so I really have a natural affinity to earth-toned colors like brown, black and different shades of green. So, I used this color scheme and combined it with a whimsical seductress of the woods. I especially did this because my fiancee and I joke about it all the time. He calls me Morgana the Wood Temptress and I call him Horny the Bear. (Great Outdoors reference. Even tho it's Shelana the Wood Temptress, I accidentally said Morgana and it's just kind of stuck ever since.) Let's do some magical makeup!

After I put on the usual foundation and concealer, I also patted on some Cover Girl Tru Blend Minerals loose powder in "Transluscent Fair" to get a nice, dewy look. For the eyes, I used the 88-color Pro Palette. I sweeped some shimmery light green all over the lid, put shimmery dark green in the outer corners and shimmery dark brown in the crease. For the highlight, I used Revlon Diamond Lust eyeshadow in "Pillow Talk". (Great shadow for the highlight.) After I lined my eyebrows with a soft brown liner, I used some of it on the bottom lid and water line, as well. I blended some shimmery blue-green on the eyebrows to give it a faint aura. I applied the Lash Stiletto mascara only on the bottom lash and put falsies on the top lash. (But, I apply them like a retard, so you may still see some glue.) The truth is, I can't stand falsies. I can't stand how they feel and while I love how they look, I'm not wild about the fact that society implies that my own naturemade lashes are not good enough to keep the dust outta my eyes. (Since that what eyelashes are for. Oh, you forgot, didn't you? I bet you thought it was a an addition that gives you a reproductive advantage a.k.a helps you look more attractive to the opposite sex!) Anyways, I decided to use the falsies here, since this is supposed to be the look for a seductive creature. And since no look for a seductive creature is complete without at least some sparkle, I put on some glittery gloss from Claire's to add a touch of charm and magic. ;) (And yes, I do use Claire's makeup occasionally. I'm not a makeup snob.)

If you're wondering about the hair and how this look was acheived, All I did was work with my own hair's natural rebelliousness. After all, I doubt that with all the running through the forest and getting freaky, nymphs ever have nice, perfect hair. I fluffed it and teased it, twisted it up in the back, pinned it down and put this sparkly headband on. It actually comes with a lot of strings of beads, but I seperated them. I put two in the front, one behind my bangs and the rest in the back of my head. See? With plenty of creativity, you can turn a simple headband into an awesome bootleg nymph circlet!


I finished the look off with a Revlon quad of eyeshadows in "Khaki Suede". (I used the darker green shadow.) I rubbed it under my cheekbones, on my temples and on the hairline. Now, it's gonna look a little bit blotchy when you apply it. This is okay, since after all, that's what happens when you apply a cream on top of a powder that's already on top of a cream. (Seriously...powder and paint will make ya whatcha ain't.) You wanna go for a mossy look. Then, I used my faded brown liquid liner to make a simple leaf and vine pattern on top of the green. By the way, this picture came out waaaaaay better than I thought it would. I usually hate pictures of the side of my face. But, I guess that I've definitely come to terms that I have a big nose. (Which my dad so endearingly termed as my "schnozz") My mother has suggested that I get plastic surgery if I don't like it, but I won't cave in to society's demands for a perfect, delicate nose. (I may have been born in Hollywood, but that doesn't mean I agree with its ethics on body image.) But, my nose is just one of my more distinguished features, just like my sparkling eyes and my full lips. Hey, this nymph look has really brought out the best in my self-confidence! Makeup doesn't always have to be used as a mask to impress others. If you wear it like a second skin, you can use all kinds of colors and combinations to create different personas which really only enhance your natural tendencies. ;)



I have been waiting for you, my lonely hiker. ;)
Mythology Nerd Fun Fact: The Greek sun God, Apollo, was in love with a nymph once. Her name was Daphne, the daughter of the river God, Peneus. According to the stories, she was quite beautiful. So much so, that Apollo chased her and pursued her constantly, despite her protests. One day, he took it too far and when Daphne reached the river, she begged her father to save her. The best old Peneus could do was turn her into a laurel tree. Apollo was so stricken with grief, that he forever kept the laurel green and alive. See?! Makeup blogs don't have to be all frivolous! They can occasionally be edu-ma-cational, too. ;)

0 comments: